The base of this amazingly healing remedy is apple cider vinegar, which is incredibly good for you! It’s a jack-of-all-trades that brings your body back into homeostasis by introducing healthy bacteria to your gut flora — your key to immune system, detoxification system, and mental health.
When you add to the mix more healing herbs like garlic, ginger, turmeric, horseradish, cayenne and adaptogens, you have a strong (and delicious) remedy that you can use as a wellness shot to prevent illness or shorten your recovery time if you’re already feeling sick.
Rosemary Gladstar, world-renowned herbalist created Fire Cider in the early 1980s then shared the recipe with friends and taught it to apprentices and students. Fire Cider eventually became popular across the country and is now a staple in herbalists’ pantries world-wide.
Ingredients and their healing properties:
- ¼ cup horseradish – fights pathogens
- ¼ cup onion– fights pathogens
- ⅛ – ¼ cup garlic – anti-bacterial (expose the cut garlic to oxygen for 10 minutes so that it’s flu-fighting compounds are activated)
- ⅛ cup fresh grated turmeric – immune-boosting
- ⅛ cup grated ginger – for respiratory support
- Cayenne to taste – keeps digestion going
- A couple sprigs Rosemary – for mental clarity
- 1 cinnamon stick – relaxes tense tummies
- Calendula – lymphatic mover
- Apple cider vinegar – modulates gut flora which boosts immune, mental health, and digestive health
- ¼ – ½ cup honey – soothes the inner lining of the gut
- 1-quart glass jar
Here’s how to make it:
- Chop up all ingredients (the smaller the better so the vinegar can extract all of the healing properties) and place in a glass jar
- Cover vegetables/herbs with apple cider vinegar
- Cover the jar with wax paper then screw on the jar top
- Shake it up!
- Place in a cool, dark place for at least 4 weeks
- Strain out dregs
- Warm up your honey so that it can mix with the infused vinegar
- Mix together!
Take 1 TSP per day to prevent illness or 1 TBSP per day if you’re showing symptoms of the cold/flu.